Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Hi there from San Simeon! Wed, November 24, 2010

Hello there everyone!

Thank you for checking in.  I've been away from internet service for a while!  It has been a combination of weather and the rugged coast conditions that have kept me away.  I've holed up a few times because of the weather- we've had some rain (serious at times!) and I figure- why set out in the rain?  The weather becomes critical when you are out like this.  Also, the coast down here is quite remote.  There is a long stretch that still doesn't have electricity!  The campgrounds and even the tiny town of Gorda are all powered by generators!  It is amazingly rugged, and amazingly beautiful!

Well, back to the unfolding story...  I said good bye to Ian Campbell III, and he said a wonderful prayer for me and the kids... I bid him farewell and left.  As I was leaving, I heard someone yelling.  It turns out it was the touring cyclist who was coasting speedily down the hill towards me.  He pulled up right next to me and said, "Are you Craig?"  I said yes.  His name is Gil and he had heard about me from Eric at the campground the night before!  Gil had biked from Virginia to Oregon, then from Oregon down to here (and beyond).  Gil is in his 50's and had had about 6 miles of bike experience on a bike path back home before he left!!!!  We can do anything if we decide to do it!  And how much more so if God is behind it!  He walked with me until we came upon a little inn and cafe.  He offered to buy me a cup of coffee, so we went in and enjoyed a pleasant visit.  The waitress was interested in what we both were doing, and gave us the coffee on the house!  Thank you!  Safe travels, Gil........

It was a beautiful, sunny day, and I walked along, thoroughly enjoying it.  Being "out there" and walking like this is incredible.  You don't just "see" things, you experience them.  I see, smell, feel, and hear all the things along the coast- the smell of the ocean, the barking of the seals......... I love it.  Anyways, I was walking along the edge of a turnout- the shoulder where there is still pavement between the road and the dirt turnout.  I don't approach people unless they indicate that they are interested- I try to let the spirit lead... I was walking along and an SUV pulled up right in front of me.  A couple, in their 30's, jumped out and came up to me to see what I was doing!  It was David and Yrsina from San Diego. They are newlyweds who left their kids behind to get away for a while.  They were very interested in The Walk and said they'd bring it back to their church.  Before they left, they put their arms around me and said a prayer for me and the kids.  Thank you!  I thanked them, said goodbye, and waved to them as they drove off.  I walked on.  At the next turnout a few feet down the road, another SUV pulled in front of me!  I thought- "That doesn't look like their SUV."  It wasn't!  Another couple, same age group, hopped out and came over to me!  Same story!  Newlyweds from N Carolina, who left children at home for a getaway!  Derek and Traci listened to my story and were very interested.  They wished me well and she gave me half of a tuna sandwich for lunch.  It was good!  Thank you, both of you couples... may God bless your future lives together.....

Now it gets more interesting.  I was headed to McWay Canyon day use area.  My cyclists guide said something about there being some walk-in environmental campsites there.  Anyways, later in the afternoon, right before the McWay turnoff, I heard a honk and it was David and Yrsina!  I waved and they drove up ahead and turned into McWay themselves.  I thought, maybe they're going in there to check it out.  I turned in a few minutes later.  The front sign said nothing about campsites.  Further in I noticed a bulletin board.  I walked up to it and it did mention campsites- but no price, and also it was necessary to reserve them well in advance.  I confess that I decided to take my chances.  I found the trail, and as I walked along it, I saw David and Yrsina's SUV across the creek.  I waved, but didn't see anyone- no matter, I was in a hurry to try to find a place to bed down for the night.  I crossed under the highway and was making my way down the bumpy trail with my overweight stroller, when I noticed a few people on the trail up ahead.  I waited for them to clear out.  Several of them did, but a man came down the trail and right up to me.  It was David!!  He said, "Do you want dinner?"  Guess what?  THEY were camped at the environmental campsites!  He said that the one next to theirs was vacant, so I set up there.  I got all set up and two guys came up to me and said, very nicely, "Uh, we had this site reserved from 6 months ago!"  I apologized and told them I'd vacate.  David and Yrsina said, "Hey, there's plenty of room for you by us."  So I picked up my tent like a large pizza and carried to their site.  It was a beautiful spot!  The site was up on a rocky promontory above the crashing surf below.  They had me over for dinner- Steak!  Amen!  Guess what else they had that they offered me the use of?  A portable, outdoor shower!  I took them up on it the next morning.  Nice.  They shared their breakfast with me, and said another wonderful prayer with me.  Thank you, David and Yrsina.  These are wonderful brothers and sisters- it is my privilege to meet them, and to continue to meet people like them. Thank you Lord.......  May You watch over them closely for the rest of their lives.......

I set out again.  I met a three-man PG&E workcrew as I left.  They were great guys and I stopped and talked to them for a while.  You know, there are all sorts of people out there.  There are those who don't want to make eye contact with me, and there are those who are instantly warm and receptive... an observation......  I said goodbye and walked on.

I keep looking out on the water to see if I may be able to spot a whale.  Today I saw a disturbance on the water way out there- about a half mile out or so.  I stopped and looked, and I think it was a pod of Killer whales!  Actually, two pods.  The other was further out and they were swimming south parallel to the coast.  I found that they can swim faster than I can walk!  I tried to keep up, but couldn't.  Wow!!

I walked on, and once again, was not sure just where I was going to stay that night.  I had two choices, so that was good.  Either Kirk Creek up ahead, or Limekiln State Park, two miles closer.  My book said that Limekiln didn't have hiker/biker sites, but it was getting late and I decided to check.  Glad I did!  Ranger Rich was very gracious, and said that the hiker/biker sites were being developed, but in the meantime I could pick any site for the same price!  I selected a site towards the beach, between two occupied sites (but no one present).  As I was setting up, a pickup truck pulled in and a man said, "Hey, I've got a lantern if you need it."  I accepted and got to talking to him.  His name is Joel and he works as a metalworker on the big bridge job that I had just walked through.  He lives in Antioch, but camps out here during the week.  Guess what?  He said, "Hey, I need some help eating the rest of this food before I go home for the weekend.  My wife won't eat anything that has been in the ice chest."  Guess what he had?  Steak again!  He barbequed it and we also had some fresh green beans and mushrooms.  Joel is a good cook!  Guess what else?  Joel is a believer!  He said he'd take the need of the kids back to his church!  Joel is a very low-key kind of guy.  He is at peace with himself and it shows.  He is very open and kind, and once again, it is a privilege to meet people like him.  Thank you Joel.  May God watch over you and keep you safe and happy.......  I stayed in Limekiln for a couple days.  It was wet and I changed sites- I moved under the redwood tree canopy.  I hiked up a trail (can you believe that?!?) to see the old lime kilns, and also to see a 100' high waterfall.  What I really liked was Limekiln Creek.  It has a lot of water and has quite a few young Steelhead trout in it.  This is the southern edge of their distribution on the west coast.  I found those fish almost all the way up to the falls!  This stream is steep, with cascading pools and riffles.  If you didn't already know, I have a degree in freshwater fisheries and I used to work with the California Conservation Corps and the CA Dept of Fish and Game- so that's why I am so interested.  I am continually amazed at the amount of flow in the streams that I observe as I walk down the coast.  There is a lot of water for this time of year.  I spent some time talking with Ranger Rich about the fish in his stream.  What a jewel that stream is!!  The camp host, John, let me sit in his 5th wheel trailer and use his internet service to write the previous blog.  Thank you John.  It uses satellites to get the signal out.

The second morning in Limekiln I woke up to being wet- heavy rain last night.  I had some campmates move in last night.  They were some younger couples, and guess what?  Yep!  Believers again!  They listened to my story and said they'd share it at their church.  Before I left, we all got in a circle, holding hands, and they said prayers for me and the kids!  Amen.  Once again, a great privilege........  May God bless you kids.........  (that's how you know you're getting older- when you start calling twenty-some-year-olds "kids"!  Oh well!)

So, Limekiln was the place to be, rather than Kirk Creek.  I took my time getting packed.  I put all my wet stuff in the sun to dry it all out.  Thank you Sun!  I told the ranger, the camp hosts, my campmates..... all, goodbye and left.  I headed out into a non-rainy day!  Today was going to be an easy walk, only about 7 miles or so, to get to Plaskett Creek campground.  I headed out into a dry day, with mostly sunny skies (now I sound like a weatherman!)  I saw Kirk Creek campground.  Nice, but Limekiln was a better place to be.  I walked on to Plaskett Creek campground and set up there.  There was another cyclist there, but was not around at the time.  Later he came into camp and I met him.  His name is Ron.  He moves and lives along the coast here.  I stayed at this campground for two days also- again, the weather is a key factor.  The next day I got up and spent some time getting caught up on my journal writing.  It is normal for me to be 2 to 4 days behind in my writing.  As I got caught up, Ron offered to take me down to the rocky beach below for some jade hunting.  I said, "Sure!"  We made our way down the steep trail and got down into a tight, rocky little cove.  There were others down there doing the same thing.  There is a vein of jade in this area that runs out into the ocean.  They tried to tell my what to look for, and it took a while, but I did find a few little pieces.  It reminded me of agate hunting up north.  Green agates, really!  While I was down there, I met a nice young man named Jason.  After we climbed out of the cove, he showed us some of the jade he had found that he had in his trunk.  He said he loved jade, and that it had changed his life.  Ron and I said goodbye to him and walked back to camp.  In the morning I got up and packed, still a bit damp, and left.  As I headed south on the highway, I recognized the little white car parked up ahead.  It was Jason again!  He was up early, jade hunting....  I stopped and got to talking to him.  Guess what?  He's a believer too!  He shared with me his  faith story.  He told me how he knows there is a God and that He protects him and takes care of him.  He said, "I could just start walking down this road right now and I'd be OK."  What a statement of faith!  What a privilege to hear that statement.  That's what I keep finding.  Thank you.  I bid him farewell, grabbed his hand, and said prayers for him and for me.  May God continue to keep Jason safe and happy....

I walked on........ (imagine that!)  I met some more touring cyclists along the way.  Lately I've noticed that they are mostly local people on a short tour- 2 to 4 days or so.  Mostly from the Bay area down to the LA area.  I've gotten to know some of them and one small group was on a sort of a reunion tour.  Last year they had cycled from Cairo, Egypt, down to South Africa.  Now they were on a little reunion jaunt, and also raising money and awareness for needy children in Africa!  We talked for a while and had a great visit...

That night I made my way to Ragged Point.  No campgrounds around here.  So I splurged and got a room at the inn.  It was nice.  But as I sat in the restaurant, enjoying a cheeseburger, I missed being out there with the people at the campgrounds.  I felt nice and warm, and well-fed here, but also lonely.  I would rather have been out there, with my people!  In the morning I woke early to the sound of......rain!  Great.  No holing up in a costly motel!  So off I was into the rain.  Oh well.  I got packed, then suited up.  I set out into the rain and it wasn't that bad.......yet.  I walked on and the rain came and went.  However, later in the day I got caught in several blowing rainstorms, and ended up getting my feet wet.  Not good. The clouds were so low that I couldn't see Hearst Castle up on top of the hill.  I went there for the first time about 8 months ago with my daughter Kate.  Interesting.  I did see something else though.  Elephant seals.  This is their hangout.  They are HUGE!  And with bad attitudes to match!  I watched them along the beach for a while, then headed south (surprise!).  I was pretty wet and it was getting cold.  My destination had been San Simeon State Beach, but when I entered the city limits of San Simeon, along with the row of hotels and motels, I changed my mind!  I found and "economical" motel and checked in.   There was a hot tub!  Amen!  And a heater in the room.  Another Amen!  PLUS, there was a washer and dryer- a double Amen!  So here I sit, in the Courtesy Inn's lobby, using their computer to write this.  After this I am headed to San Simeon State Beach campground in the sun!  After that, I am not sure just what my schedule is.  However, I do know this.  Earlier this morning I sent an e-mail to Erik Poor- the guy I met with his family in Anchor Bay up the coast.  Remember him?  He and his wife live in San Luis Obispo.  Well guess what?  I was blogging here and the phone rang.  It was Erik!  He was happy to hear from me and he offered me his home to stay at for as long as I need to!  He also wants to walk along with me for a while when I enter SLO!  Is that too cool or what?  Amen!  Thank you Erik!  Happy Thanksgiving Erik....

I want to wish you all Happy Thanksgiving too.  We all have so much to be thankful for.  I know I do.......


Happy Thanksgiving,
God Bless,
Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment