Friday, September 24, 2010

Day three- about 7 miles. Sept 24, 2010

Today was a good day.  A friend called Channel 3 news in Eureka and they came out and interviewed me at the north end of the Avenue of the Giants.  I haven't seen it on TV, but I've heard favorable reports!  I understand that you can view the interview online on Channel 3's website for a month.  The word is spreading......

I met some interesting people today.  I walked along the Ave of the Giants and enjoyed a blackberry popsicle from a roadside produce stand in Shively.  It was one of those old-fashioned stands, where you take what you want and leave the money in the slot- the honor system.  It's good to see!  My heart continues to be touched by all the good people- which brings me to where I am right now.  I am sitting at the kitchen table of my 5th grade school teacher, Velma Childs-Titus of Redcrest.  She and her family have been friends of my family for many years.  This evening I went with her son, Robin, back to Hydesville to the Hydesville Church for his young adult group.  We had pizza and soda pop (I had lots of pizza!) and I got to share the Walk idea with several young men.  Velma has graciously offered me a room to stay in tonight- an offer I couldn't refuse.  That old pack is heavy!  I'm either going to lighten it up or toughen up- we'll see.

About those interesting people- I met a man who was travelling back to Santa Barbara and he was on his last leg- told me if everything goes well he has just enough to get there.  He then went on to ask if I had enough money because if I didn't, he was going to give me some!  I said thank you, but that I did have enough.  He and the young lady he had just picked up hitchhiking were engaging in some smoking and drinking activities that I didn't want to join in with, but I'm not the judge.  He offered to help me when he needed help himself- that speaks loudly.  The world is full of all kinds of people, isn't it?

Anyways, I'm pooped out and ready for bed.  Please remember the Coder children in your prayers.  Good night and thank you for tuning in..........  Craig

1 comment:

  1. Good reports Craig. Angie & I saw the Ch.3 TV interview. It was a good one. We'll save it on the DVR. I'm glad they did the interview.
    Hope you get plenty of rest tonight. You will get used to the weight of the pack. Besides, every meal that you eat will make the pack a little lighter.

    ReplyDelete