Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I'm off !!!!!!!!!

Today is the day!  I am getting ready to leave soon this morning.  For those of you who don't already know what I am up to it is this- to walk from Ferndale, CA 500 miles south to my daughter's apartment in San Luis Obispo, CA.  It is to try to raise money for some Honduran children I met while on a mission trip to Honduras in June.  There is a very brave, faithful, and committed couple from the US who rescued these children from sexual and physical abuse (among other things) in an orphanage in San Pedro Sula, Honduras.  Their names are Bob and Joyce Coder.  He is 65 and she is 69!  They got custody of the children and moved them into a house there in Honduras a little over a year ago.  Actually, I went down there to help drill water wells with Bob, which he also does for needy people who need good water.  The shortage of good water in the world today is a critical issue.  It turned out that the trip was about the kids!  I asked Bob what he needed.  He said, "finances and help".  With contributions down in the states due to our economy, they are currently in a very serious situation.  Also, they are pooped out!  They get up very early each day and put in a full day to raise those kids and to serve as missionaries.  When I got home I prayed about a number of things- how could I help the Coders and the kids, and how I felt my own faith and courage was lacking.  While on a walk on July 5 I felt God offer me an opportunity.  He said, "How about walking from here down to San Luis Obispo?"  Along the way offer the story about those kids, and those people who are touched and want to help will.  So that's the plan.  I also intend to pick up as much trash along the road as I can, and to offer something else too.  And that is to bring awareness to people here that there is plenty of nasty stuff happening to our own children right here.  I just saw in Honduras how bad it can get, so now is the time to start acting here at home.  There is an organization that you can visit called Safe Kids Now.  It is an "adopt-a-block" type  of program where people organize together to protect the children in their neighborhood.  Hopefully it spreads from the starter block and then to the whole neighborhood or city.  In this way we can do something to begin to better protect our own children.  The world's children is its future.  You know, I could go on and on, but not right now.  I have to get going.  This is still something that I am "talking" about, and not something that I have actually done yet.  Today is the day to start.  This morning my daily devotional said, "For we walk by faith, not by sight." (2 Corinthians 5:7).  That's a good one for today!!!

You can help by visiting this blog and my Facebook page.  Please be patient.  This is a work in progress and I will communicate as much as possible during my walk.  If you are touched, please share all of this.  Please keep the Coders, the kids, me, and my family in your prayers.  I need them.

To learn about the Coder kids and how you can help them visit their website at:
     www.number7widowsmite.org   (cut and paste in your browser)

To learn how to help protect the kids in your neighborhood please visit:
     www.safekidsnow.com   (cut and paste in your browser)

If you are interested in the Coder's well-drilling ministry, check out the Wellspring of Life Ministry.  Find it at:
     www.wellspringoflife.org   (cut and paste in your browser)

Thank you for being my good friends.  The best part has already started, and that is how your care and interest has already softened my own heart and boosted my own faith.

Thank you,
God Bless,
Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment