Saturday, March 12, 2011

Hi! Saturday, March 12, 2011

Hello all,

The earthquake and resulting tsunami yesterday really puts everything in perspective, doesn't it?  I had numerous dear friends call me to warn me here in coastal northern California.  I got a text message in the middle of the night from a friend in Hawaii, telling about the quake and tsunami warning.  Yesterday morning I found out about the tsunami warning for the west coast of the US.  I live here in Ferndale in a tsunami zone.  I can hear the roar of the surf from my house and can see the lights on the crab boats bobbing around out in the ocean from my kitchen window.  I decided to go ahead and leave.  I packed up some clothes and headed over the river to Fortuna.  I thought about all the things I could take, but decided not to take much.  Once I started packing things in my truck, what would I take, and what would I leave?  I need clothes, food, water, and shelter.  I knew that I needed my clothes, which I took, and that friends on higher ground could help me with the rest, so off I went.  I spent the day helping friends with some things they needed help with- and watched the news.  It is very sad and gut-wrenching to watch the footage of the earthquake in Japan and especially the tsunami sweeping over the land.  I find it hard to understand it all myself.  I pray for those people.  I feel helpless to help them, but I know that prayer is powerful, so I do that for them.

I continue to pack and get ready to go to Sunny Acres.

Lord, please watch over Japan.

I have something else to say.  As the time to leave for Sunny Acres draws closer, I find myself getting more nervous.  I suppose this is normal.  It's a big move.  But then I wonder, if it is God-directed, then why do I have fears and doubts?  Know what I mean?  The other day I was having a cup of coffee in a coffee shop and I ran into a man who I know from my old dance class.  We got to talking and I told him about my walk and about Sunny Acres.  He said, "Wait till He asks you to do something that you can't."  That stayed with me.  I realize that that is what Sunny Acres is- something that I can't do- at least on my own.  I know it.  I feel it.  I have known from the beginning there at Sunny Acres that it is something that is beyond me.  The very thing that scares me, also attracts me.  Going on that walk, finding Sunny Acres, moving away from here to there........are all things that I did not figure out or plan on my own.  I cannot take any credit for any of it.  I have my fears and doubts about what I am about to do- but I do know the answer.  It will be God working in me that makes the whole thing work- not me, and not my own courage, faith, or abilities.  I know that you may be sitting there saying, "Well, of course", and you'd be right, but I'd like to tell you that that is easy for you to sit there and say that, just as it is easy for any of us to be a back-seat driver or an armchair quarterback.  I'm just confessing my fears and doubts, but at the same time, my faith in Him- which is a gift, and not something I've earned.  May His will be done............


God bless,
Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment